Saturday 28 April 2012

Band Recommendation: Of Monster and Men

Band name: Of Monster and Men
Genre: Indie Folk/ Pop
Website: http://ofmonstersandmen.is/
"This Icelandic six-piece pull off a neat trick: They make whimsical sound tough. Their debut is full of familiar indie-pop gestures: wintry, finger-picked guitars; lyrics full of woodsy imagery; tunes that swell into campfire-style singalongs. But Of Monsters and Men put muscle behind their prettiness, turning songs from cute to grand, and their dippy hippie-isms – "The forest of talking trees, they used to sing about the birds and the bees" – sound mysterious, and vaguely menacing." - Jody Rosen

Of Monster and Men has been playing since 2009 as a quardret (Nanna, Raggi, Brynjar and Arnar), but it was only during 2010 when they won the annual battle of the bands in the native Iceland, Músíktilraunir, and became famous overnight. Soon, two other members(Arni and Kristjan) joined their group.
Their song 'Little Talks' caught my attention straight away when I first listened to it from a music recommendation website. It stuck in my head for days - weeks. I learnt more about them and their first debut album, 'My Head Is An Animal'. From that song, I decided to explore more into their music. Soon, before I realise it, I was already a fan.
The music they create,  like Jody Rosen said (above, with such precise usage of words), tunes into campfire-style signalongs. Their music is like one you would sing during a trip in the woods, with a bunch of friends and around the fire. It would be lovely to listen to their album during a long car trip and sing out loud along your spirits whilst waiting to arrive to your destination.
If you haven't about them, you are missing out. There are advertisements everywhere nowadays of 'Of Monster and Men', on Facebook especially for me (I don't know if Facebook ads varies to us all) And I would strongly recommend you all to listen and buy their album!
You can buy 'My Head Is An Animal' here!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love these guys. soso good.

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments a lot and we promise to get back to you as soon as we can. (: No spam please!